Tuesday, February 3, 2009

$10 Tuesday: Navarra Tempranillo Garnacha

We were in the $10 section of the package store and zeroed in on some Garnacha blends. There were three or four to pick from and I picked this one. Why? That's right: It was the awesome label. I admit it. That's what the label is for... Besides, I have to photograph a lot of wine bottles so aesthetics count! But, enough justifying my purchase decisions...

I never pass up a Garnacha. I love the way the aroma of Garnacha twists toward fig and bbq peach, and the flavor is so light and easy. This Garnacha Tempranillo blend sounded like a sure bet for $10, and it was. The nose has nice dark berry fruit with a spicy mole aroma going on in the background. It has refreshing acidity, more of that deep berry mid-palate, and then a nice spicy finish--very peppery capsaicin finish. The tannins and acidity are nicely balanced and stand up to a meal.

This wine would be a great choice for tapas involving chorizo or things wrapped in bacon. It also passed my olive test: It held it's own with both the feta stuffed, and the garlic stuffed olives. We just had plain old spaghetti but, the wine inspired me to add a little chili powder and cayenne pepper to the sauce. I would serve this wine with chili too...or a nice earthy mole.

Red Guitar

DOC: Navarra
Grapes: Tempranillo %55, Garnacha 45%
Price: $9.99
Alcohol: 14%
Aromas: Blackberry, earth, peach, mole
Flavors: Blackberry, blueberry, black cherry, chili pepper


In case you couldn't tell, we liked this wine.

0 comments: