Monday, October 13, 2008

Tomiolo Pinot Grigio della Venezie

We’ve had Tomaiolo wines in the past. They are not high quality wines, but they have never disappointed me when I put them into a table wine class. For their price, they are very good wines for a picnic, a barbeque or in our case, just a lazy Sunday evening. I prefer Pinot Grigio in the warmer months and will switch over to Fume Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc when I need a white in the colder days.


Tomiolo Pinot Grigio




Pinot Grigio
Tomaiolo

Vintage: 2006
AVA: Venezie I.G.T.
Alcohol: 12%
Price: $5.50/half

Color: Straw
Intensity: Pale
Aromas: Peach, lemon, pineapple, pear
Flavors: Lemon zest, pear, tangerine
Body: Light
Acidity: Citric
Sweetness: Dry
Finish: Moderate


Summary: This wine seems a bit austere. There is a citrus aspect to this wine but it didn’t quite make sense to me until the chicken came out of the oven. This wine needs food to bring out the qualities. With dinner it smoothed out and took on a more floral and vanilla quality. We had it with roasted chicken, and Basmati rice with greens. The acidity provided good palate cleansing. Will this be the last Pinot Grigio until next summer?



0 comments: