Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wine Pronunciation Guide

I just ran across this Wine Lexicon on Robin Garr's Wine Lovers' Page which is a great resource for all those questionable wine pronunciations. I remembered watching a pronunciation primer on Wine for Dummies where I learned, for instance, that Pinot Grigio is pronounced pee-noe gree-joe not 'gree-zhee-o'. Unfortunately, that example is one of the few I retained in long-term memory, so I'm happy to have found a website I can refer back to time and again: Even if I can only properly pronounce the wine style/varietal in a restaurant or wine shop (nevermind the Chateau), at least I've saved myself some embarrassment!

The creator of the Wine Lexicon has created an extensive glossary with definitions, pronunciation, and a sound file--definitely a handy little guide!




Addendum: I also like this Italian wine pronunciation guide (even if it is from a commercial importer).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola soy maximiliano bortoluzzi de argentina quiciera saver como obtener una botella con mi apellido soy gran bebedor de vinos y me encantaria tener uno con mi apellido .
muy atentamente y que dios los resguarde. bortoluzzi maximiliano