Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Revisiting a Favorite

Our infatuation with the Monferrato began a year ago last October at the Boony Doon Vineyard tasting room. I remember Taster A and I both taking a sniff, looking at each other, and exclaiming "rose!" in unison. It was a striking wine. We brought two bottles home and tucked them away for a special someday.

When challenged to write up a wine in seven words for Wine Blogging Wednesday #42, the choice was easy: What better choice than a wine that I kept going back to in my memory? Again, when we came up with our Best Wines of the year list, the Monferrato was on the short list.

I was in a celebratory mood over the weekend having finally finished my holiday shopping, and also having received my new Instinct phone on the same day. Since we will be back in the vicinity of the Santa Cruz mountains soon, I proposed opening one of our dear bottles.

The Verdict: One Year Later
The rose is still there but, it has moved off the nose and onto the palate. The nose is more toward concentrated pomegranate and blackberry now. The flavor, however, from start to finish is all rose with a little mid-palate red fruit and some pepper on the finish. Alas, it's not the same anymore but, I'm not ready to demote it from the sublime list just yet. It's still an interesting wine even if it has become more subdued in some respects. The bloom is definitely not off the rose yet.

Taster A and I must go back to Boony Doon's tasting room in December and taste it there again...and replenish our stock while we're at it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we visited them while we were out there. They have a new tasting room, um can't remember the name of the street but it is in a square with some other wineries and a brewery. The new tasting room is really awesome compared to the other one. We had gone to teh other one also, not knowing that they had already moved all their product down to the other tasting room. Oh well, Beauregard is in the facility behind the old Bonny Doon room and is worth a visit.

I need to go back to my notes, I can't remember if we got profound rose on this or not...

Taster B said...

Where is the new Tasting Room? Boony Doon? We went to the one that was up in the mountains...

Anonymous said...

yeah Bonny Doon, it is really close to Santa Cruz(proper) on a square with a bunch of other wineries. Not at the mountain location anymore, the new one is uber nice compared to the old one. The new one is on their website under visit us.